Where to stay in Paris for Christmas?
Paris, the City of Light, truly shines during the festive season. The capital boasts pristine Christmas trees, captivating shop windows, and glittering neighborhoods. It's the perfect destination to celebrate the holidays.
- The best districts to stay in Paris during Christmas
- The best things to do in Paris' most beautiful districts this Christmas
- Top 5 Christmas markets in Paris
- Top 5 department stores for Christmas shopping in Paris
- Top 5 things to do in Paris this Christmas
Search by district
The best districts to stay in Paris during Christmas
To fully experience Paris in December, explore the city's top neighborhoods and everything they have to offer.
The Marais district, located in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, is a haven for art enthusiasts. Beyond the iconic Centre Pompidou, a cornerstone of modern art, the area boasts many diverse art galleries showcasing renowned artists and emerging talents. Some notable mentions include Thaddaeus Ropac, Emmanuel Perrotin, Marian Goodman, and Galerie d'Architecture. Galleria Continua is a unique venue, blending a bookstore, exhibition space, and grocery store, making it a must-visit spot.
During Christmas, the Place des Vosges, also called the Place Royale, exudes a distinct charm, filled with upscale boutiques offering perfumes, designer wear, and silverware—perfect for holiday shopping. The surrounding Parisian cafes imbue the atmosphere with a delightful Christmas aura. Don't miss out on the BHV Marais on Rue de Rivoli to marvel at the meticulously crafted Christmas window displays, radiating charm, wonder, and creativity.
It's a true gem in the heart of the capital. Musée du Louvre, Jardin des Tuileries, Place de la Concorde, Jardin du Palais Royal, Place Vendôme, Pont Neuf... So many emblematic sites make the Louvre Rivoli an exceptional district to stay in during the festive season.
For some years now, the Jardin des Tuileries has been home to the biggest Christmas market in Paris. The surrounding area is less lively but just as well decorated, making it even more pleasant to stroll around.
For a luxurious Christmas, it's impossible not to visit Place Vendôme. Every year, Paris' most luxurious square is decked out with majestic, illuminated fir trees, setting the tone for the iconic houses dressed for the festive season: Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Chaumet, Boucheron, Dior, Chanel... It's hard to resist the temptation.
Highstay offers you 7 prestigious apartments at Louvre Rivoli to put down your luggage this Christmas.
Rue Saint-Honoré, located between the 1st and 8th arrondissements, is one of Paris's most legendary streets. Divided between the famous Les Halles district, the Palais Royal, Place Vendôme, and the chic Madeleine district, this is undoubtedly one of the capital's most cosmopolitan streets.
If this is where you want to stay this Christmas, you will be satisfied. Ideally located, Rue Saint Honoré lets you enjoy the Christmas lights of the Faubourg Saint Honoré, adorned with over 200 fir trees and the glittering trees of Rue Royale, while doing your Christmas shopping. The Madeleine district is renowned for its high-end fashion and gourmet addresses, from Hermès to Ladurée... Take a gourmet break at the legendary Ritz palace to admire the majestic fir tree that takes its place at the foot of the staircase every year and let yourself be transported by the magic of Christmas.
Stay in one of our luxurious apartments on rue Saint-Honoré for the festive season.
The Champs Élysées district has everything to dazzle you. Billed as "the most beautiful avenue in the world," the Champs Élysées is undoubtedly the most mythical street in the world. There's no shortage of attractions around it: Arc de Triomphe, the Petit and Grand Palais... Enough to satisfy your thirst for culture. But suppose the Champs Élysées district has such a prestigious reputation. In that case, it's also, and above all, thanks to the Golden Triangle: this area bounded by Avenue Montaigne, the Champs Élysées, and Avenue George V is home to all the most luxurious addresses: Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Dior, Valentino... All the big names have a street address, not forgetting the unmissable hotels and palaces such as the Plaza Athénée or the Shangri-La. We recommend you even step inside for a few moments to look at the splendid, traditional Christmas tree, which will awaken the Christmas magic within you.
Enjoy a magical setting on the Champs Élysées for an equally magical Parisian stay in one of our most beautiful apartments.
The best things to do in Paris' most beautiful districts this Christmas
During the festive season, there's plenty to do in Paris. Alone, as a couple, or as a family, you can take advantage of the capital's many assets at the year's end. Highstay has selected for you the must-do Christmas outings in Paris.
Top 5 Christmas markets in Paris
It's impossible to stay in Paris in December without visiting at least one of its many Christmas markets. These include:
1. The Jardin des Tuileries Christmas Market : the biggest Christmas market in Paris, it's a must for children, but beware of the crowds. For a more authentic and intimate Christmas, we recommend the following Christmas markets:
2. The Abbesses Christmas Market: located in the romantic Montmartre district, with the Sacré-Coeur Basilica as a backdrop, you'll love its picturesque, bohemian atmosphere.
3. Paris Notre-Dame Christmas Market: at the foot of the famous cathedral, enjoy the spectacle of the giant nativity scene and local crafts, perfect for Christmas gifts.
4. The Christmas village in Saint-Germain-Des-Prés: a traditional Christmas market. You’ll love the friendly atmosphere and everything you'd expect from a real Christmas market: crafts, gastronomy, gifts, and, of course, Christmas decorations. Located in this emblematic district, you can also enjoy a cup of hot chocolate at the legendary Café de Flore, home to France's intellectual elite.
5. The Danish Church Christmas Market: discover Swedish gourmet specialities, gift ideas and handicrafts that will take you on a Scandinavian journey without leaving the capital!
Top 5 department stores for Christmas shopping in Paris
Combine the pleasure of shopping with the wonders of department store windows this holiday season. Breathtaking facades, fairy-tale characters, shimmering colors, and exquisite Christmas trees: every year, the capital's finest department stores are full of inspiration to bring their windows to life and put glitter in the eyes of young and old alike. For all your Christmas shopping, head for the major Parisian brands that combine luxury with the magic of Christmas:
1. Galeries Lafayette Haussmann - 40 boulevard Haussmann, 75009 Paris
2. Le Bon Marché Rive Gauche and La Grande Épicerie - 24 rue de Sèvres, 75007 Paris
3. Printemps Haussmann - 64 boulevard Haussmann, 75009 Paris
4. BHV Marais - 52 rue de Rivoli, 75004 Paris
5. La Samaritaine - 9 Rue de la Monnaie, 75001 Paris
Top 5 things to do in Paris this Christmas
While the Eiffel Tower, the Musée Grévin, and the Arc de Triomphe remain must-sees, at Christmas, we recommend you take advantage of the magical and extraordinary shows orchestrated just for the festive season:
1. Christmas concert at the Paris Opera: enjoy a Christmas recital in one of the legendary halls of the Paris Opera (Garnier or Bastille) and experience the magic of Christmas.
2. Afternoon Tea in a palace: many Parisian palaces offer Afternoon Tea. The festive season is ideal; you can enjoy an enchanting setting while savoring exquisite pastries. Our favorite? Cédric Grolet's afternoon tea at Le Dali crowned the world's best pastry chef. His innovative, new-generation cuisine is sure to surprise you.
3. Illuminations at the Jardin des Plantes: the Jardin des Plantes offers a spectacular, fully illuminated nocturnal trail where little beasts become big ones, a must-do for the whole family.
4. Christmas at the Moulin Rouge: enjoy a magical show where glitter and rhinestones take center stage. In this famous cabaret, the Moulin Rouge dancers offer you a dazzling Christmas evening.
5. Gastronomic Christmas: Head to Paris's palaces and hotels to see the capital's most beautiful Christmas trees and indulge in a delicious gourmet meal. From the Ritz to the George V, via the Lutetia, discover the elegance of French cuisine combined with the magic of Christmas.
See all articles